1. Tell us a little about yourself and your relationship with alcohol at the time.
2. What happened the night of your DUI charge?
As I started drinking, she was also drinking way past her limit. It got to nearly 4 a.m. and she started demanding to be taken home. At the time I felt perfectly ok, so I offered to drive her home. I get her to her place and on the way to my house everything hit me. I passed out. The next thing I know someone is waking me up asking if I am ok. The cops show up, my car was totaled and I was still pretty drunk.
3. What was going through your head when you were getting arrested? Booked?
4. What did the booking process look like? What was the process for getting out of jail?
5. Who was really there to support you through this situation? Both during and after?
6. What was your court experience like?
They ended up striking a weird deal: I never got convicted because the only witness who saw me in the driver's seat moved out of state and couldn't be subpoenaed. I got off on a weird technicality, except the deal was to avoid trial (where I definitely would have lost even without the witness). So, I still had to do community service and be on probation for a 18 months.