Here are my six ways to power through a major project.
1. Find a smell you love - My best work has been with a candle burning. I love all different kinds of candles, but I only burn them when I'm working. By using constant smell you can train your brain to know that it's time to switch into work mode. Here are two I love.
2. Get some jams - have a good study playlist, but remember that lyrics can be distracting. If you can't cut classical music and don't want to spend forty minuets looking for that one Weezer song you liked when you were a freshman, try out Songza. It's a music concierge that chooses music for you based on your mood or what you're doing (and yes there's a no lyrics option)
3. Clean your desk - While I do agree that a Cluttered desk means a Creative mind (Thanks Albert) cleaning off my desk always seems to get me started on a project I'm dreading.
4. Plan a reward - This is one of my favorite ways to get myself to do stuff. I'll think something along the lines of "If I start this APES project I get to get starbucks on my way to work" or "If I finish editing these pics, I don't have to make my bed tomorrow morning." If it's a particually big project I'll get my boyfriend in on it and tell him "If I don't go running on Saturday then I have to give you a massage." (He never wants me to run)
5. Grab some Brain food - Who doens't love snacks? Aim for something semi-healthy. I like wheat thins (becasue they don't leave crums in my keyboard) and always some coffee...bonus points if you're eating veggies.
6. Just start - The sooner you start, the sooner you can be done. I heard some saying over pinterest (I'm not exactly sure where from) that said "If you'd started when you first thought of it, you'd be done by now". The longer a big project sits in your mind the more and more it stresses you out.
7. Take it slow - Don't beat yourself up too much if you can't write your entire research paper in one day. These types of projects are meant to be spaced out. If you're short on time and have to do it all in one day, work for 90 min, then take a 10 min break. Do something physical during your break, like get up for a drink or go check the mail. DO NOT get of facebook or check your instagram real quick. It's a slippery sloap to getting completly distracted.